CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Brayden's Birth Story


This picture was my last belly picture - 39 weeks! For my 39 week and 1 day (on July 3rd)  appointment, I went in and my blood pressure was up for the 3rd week in a row. So, they sent me over to L&D to be monitored for an hour. I was having mild contractions, but my blood pressure leveled out and all was well so I went home. He had stripped my membranes prior to sending me to L&D.
I went home hoping that something would happen, but nothing did except contractions on and off. Around 5pm, Andrew and I got into a minor argument and I went into the kitchen to begin making dinner - spaghetti with some sauteed zucchini. As I was chopping the zucchini, I had a nice contraction. I figured like all of the other ones it would stop, but it started continuing every 5 minutes, some were mild some were stronger. They continued that way until 10pm, when we decided to head to the hospital. We live 45 minutes away from the hospital, so I wanted to be careful. Also, I am GBS+, so I felt it was better this way.
Off we went.. I got to the hospital and luckily, my doctor was there already with another woman in labor! I was checked and I was dilating at 2cm, so they broke my waters. Contractions got much stronger. Unfortunately, the baby was still high up. So we waited. I received the epidural and was able to get sleep while waiting. This continued for hours. I was there around 10:45pm and around 1:30pm the next day I noticed more pain. The machine sending my epidural had an inclusion.. Basically I wasn't receiving the epidural anymore. It was intense. They had started me on pitocin and pitocin pushed contractions are worse than normal contractions. Finally I was checked at 430 and I was at 5cm but the baby had no moved down at all. He wasn't coming down the birth canal at all.
The contractions were beginning to be coupled together - back to back - indictation that the baby was struggling to come down. We made the decision that my attempt for a VBAC was awesome (24 hours!) but I needed a csection.
Brayden Joseph was born at 5:45pm weighing in at 9lbs 13oz and 22.5 inches long. A moose!




He looks so much like his daddy. They kept him in the OR for 15 minutes and then went to the nursery where my parents and his were able to see him. Unlike Caelyns birth when they has to wait for 1 hour before seeing him. I loved this hospital! After I got to recovery, they brought him to me 15 minutes later to nurse. Yay for a breastfeeding friendly hospital!

His birthday is July 4th and after we got to our stay room, we were able to see fireworks outside the hospital. What a way to ring in the birth of our special little man!!



No comments:

Post a Comment