CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Chicken and Yellow Rice

This is another very easy recipe that I love and want to share with you. The picture isn't the best - it was taken quickly on my iPhone, but it is what it is!

The first thing you want to do is take a whole chicken and boil that baby!
I boil them for like 1-2 hours usually, mostly because I have a bad memory and just tend to forget it is in there, but that's what I do.

Once it is boiled, I debone the chicken. Put as much chicken as you want into a separate bowl. The rest put into baggies to be frozen for another meal. At this point, take the carcass and boil it down for awhile longer and make some yummy broth - season it and such. Freeze!

Ok.. so once you do that, you need a bag of yellow rice with saffron. You can find this is in a yellow bag in your local grocery store. It ranges from $1-$1.50, depending on the size and brand.

Follow the directions on the back of the rice bag. It takes about 15-20 minutes usually to make it. After about 15 minutes, I put the chicken into the rice and let it cook until the rice is tender.

That is it! Seriously, it is delicious and we all get seconds. I usually pair with corn bread muffins (either homemade or a jiffy box) and some veggie.

The price for this very easy meal?

Whole chicken - $5 (but half of the meat is for this meal and half for another meal so... the actual price is..)... $2.50 (won't even take out the amount of money I save by saving the homemade broth!
Saffron rice - $1.50
Jiffy box mix - $.49
Half of a bag of frozen veggies - $.50

Total price of this very yummy meal? - $4.99

It could technically be lower since I get about two cans worth of broth from it - each can at the store ranges from $.60-$1. Now use that other half of the meat for another yellow meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment