CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Slow Cooker Potato Soup

Today, I think the weather outside might have hit 20 degrees - if that! It has been freezing!!

It was one of those days that I knew our dinner something warm and hearty. When I think of warm and hearty, soup always pops into my mind!

This time, I picked potato soup (Andrew would argue that he wants chili all the time but alas, the cook gets to pick)!
I've made potato soup before but never really loved the outcome, but I sure loved this one!

When I can, any meal goes into the slow cooker, for two reasons. 1) its much easier in the morning to put together a meal than rushing in the evening and 2) if there is a meal in the slow cooker, there is 0% chance of us going to get food out to eat (therefore, helping our food budget).

What you'll need:
5-6 large potatoes, sliced into 1/2 inch portions
1 large onion, diced
32 oz chicken broth
1 cup milk
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon oregano
1/4 cup butter
3 cloves of garlic, pressed or chopped.
1 cup sour cream
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
3-4 pieces of bacon, cooked and chopped.

Combine the potatoes, onions, chicken broth, milk (or heavy cream if you have it), salt, pepper, thyme, oregano, garlic and butter.
You can cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.
After cooking, add in the bacon, cheese and sour cream.
I use an immersion blender to puree up the soup, leaving some chunks or you could just mash and mix it up.

Tada! Delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment