CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

To Clip or Not to Clip

I don't think that I have ever mentioned that Caelyn is tongue tied! Weird, huh? lol

Well, we had spoke to the ENT when she was about 2 weeks old and decided that we would clip her tongue at a year old unless there was problems with her eating. She has always ate fine and is developing fine.
Well, a year old is creeping up on us fast! On the 28th, she will be 11 months and from there, we have about 3 weeks until her appointment to determine the clipping.

The more I have been thinking about it, the more that I have decided NOT to clip her tongue. This isn't a decision I come to lightly at all. I realize that not clipping her tongue COULD lead to possible speech problems, but I also know it is a procedure that can be done at any point in her life. It is an "easy" fix.
The biggest issue I have WITH clipping is that the procedure will be done under general, not local, and I have a lot of issues coming out of general. I recently had a biospy and when I came out of it, my BP dropped really low and I was sick to my stomach and ended up staying in the hospital for an extra few hours. Also, I don't believe in doing something like this when it is not truly needed.
So far, she eats great. We have no problems with any kinds of food. She is quite obviously gaining weight! She babbles and says a few words, along with making a lot of additional pronunciations. For example, she can say her "R's" she walks around saying rara, rara. She just hasn't learned a word with the r yet. I really wish she would say mama, she has before but not on any kind of regular basis.

We made the decision tonight not to clip and just to watch her speech very closely. If she shows any signs of being delayed or having a problem, we will immediately get it clipped, but why fix it now? I have also heard that if she learns to speak with it, she might have trouble relearning her sounds because her tongue would be moving differently!

Oh, the decisions of parenthood! Have any of you experienced this before?

No comments:

Post a Comment