Friday, April 23, 2010

Caelyn's Birth Story

I wanted to tell you all another story - the most important story of my life thus far. I wasn't blogging when Caelyn was born. If I had been, this would have been posted a lot earlier. But, I want to post it now rather than later, for future reference although I doubt I will ever forget this.

This is how it began......

When I was 38 weeks pregnant, we decided we would induce when I hit 39 weeks which was January 27th, 2010. You may ask why we decided this... the 36 week ultrasound had shown she was over 7lbs, babies gain the most during the last few weeks. At 10lbs, my OB did a c-section because of the risk of delivering large babies. I really didn't want a c-section, so I opted to go early at 39 weeks. The ultrasound tech had said that she looked to be 9lbs 3 oz at 38 weeks. Within a week, she would probably hit 10. So, off we went to be induced.

I should have trusted my gut that it would not be that easy. I had seen all these shows that inducement doesn't work and I just knew that would be me.

So, off we went on January 27th at 6am filled with nerves and bursting with excitement. After 24hours of pitocin and cervidil, I was only dilated to 1cm. I felt defeated but scared they would send me home!
I was NOT leaving without a baby, they couldn't get me out of that bed if they tried. Thankfully, they didn't. After a long talk, my OB and I decided to do a c-section. I was ok with that. I had accepted it. He told me they would do it at 12pm. We decided at 8am - that was the longest 4 hours. I was so excited I could barely contain myself. I just wanted to hold her.

This picture was taken right before we went back to have my c-section. I was so nervous, so happy. Robert was shaking like a leaf. They took me back and got me prepped. I was so nervous. Robert was brought in and stood beside my head.

Before they took her out, they asked Robert to stand up if he had the stomach to do so. He stood up with his hand on my head - it was shaking. It was painful - pressure is pain. I had no idea a c-section hurt, but it did.

Then I heard it - her scream. The best sound I had ever heard. They said that she was big and I made a good decision to have a c-section and that she had a full head of black hair, along with big feet haha.
They showed me her and took her over to be cleaned up. Robert went over, as they began to clean me up. I remember my doctor asking Robert what he thought and I could tell he was crying from his voice - he said "she is beautiful" and that she is.
Caelyn was born on January 28th, 2010 at 12:36pm. She was 9lbs 3oz and 21 inches of pure perfection. She is a blessing.
After they took her to the nursery, Robert went with her and I had to be put back together haha. They gave me loopy medication, or so I call it. Time flew fast, I wasn't upset that I didn't have her with me. I felt relaxed because I knew she was ok, healthy, with her dad. They wheeled me into recovery at 1:20 and I had to wait til 2:20 for her to come in. This was the longest hour of my life. I watched that clock, but I was still in and out.
Then, they called and said she could come in. I heard the wheels on the floor coming down the hallway. Robert wheeled the cart into the room. He picked her up and handed her to me, he was completely silent. He was crying. (I am crying as I remember it) He just put his head against me and let out this huge breath.
I loved her when I had heard her cry, but I swear my heart almost burst when I saw her. That little face was perfect. At that moment, I knew I would do anything for this little person. She was perfect.

This is when I first got to hold her.

I love this photo. He is such a proud father. When he was in the nursery, my family still tells me about it to this day - they said the entire time he stood the touching her everywhere - her toes, fingers, face everything. They said he kissed her everywhere - I have pictures my aunt to prove it. I wish I could have seen that. The excitement he must have felt I missed, but I am ok with that. It was his time with her. They wanted to see her better, so he picked her up and moved her around - they said he looked like a pro, little did they know that he had never held a newborn before.
The whole time in the hospital my family was almost always there. It was great. She got to meet so many of her family members.
It was a time I will never forget - it was the start of MY little family.

We stayed in the hospital until Saturday morning. I had to because of the c-section. It gave me extra sleep time so I was ok with it. Saturday morning I was bursting with excitement. We went home and we started our adventures as parents. It was amazing.
Our lives as parents has been an adventure already and I can't wait to see what God has in store for us.

Over 11 weeks have passed since this time in our life but I will never forget it.

This is my little now - taken on April 15th.


  1. wow. what a crazy story and what a BIIIIG baby! but she is so stinkin' cute!!! :)

  2. This was such a beautiful read. Thankyou!

  3. Shes gorgeous!!! what a blessing!! makes me cry when i read of he miracle of life! x