CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Chicken Pot Pie Casserole with Biscuits

I have been struggling lately to find the perfect recipes, at least the perfect base recipes that are good/great on their own but still leaves room for me to add and test on until it is perfect.

Prior, I was using a chicken pot pie recipe and spooning it over biscuits. It was good, but everything I tried never made it any better. I think Robert just tolerated it.

So, I searched for another. I can't find the link that I got it from, but I adapted it anyway and made it my own! I love it and it is delicious!

What you will need:
2 or 3 chicken breasts
Lawry's Seasoned Salt (this stuff is amazing, get it -seriously!)
4 tablespoons butter
1 small onion
2 tbsp minced garlic
1/2 tsp rosemary
3 tbsp flour
2 cups chicken broth
3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
1 can premade biscuits
2 cups frozen mixed veggies

First, dice the chicken breasts and season very generously with Lawry's seasoned salt. Put 1 tbsp in a skillet and cook on med heat until cooked almost done.

While it is cooking, put 3 tbsp of butter in a pot and let it melt. Dice the onion and put the onion and garlic in. Let this saute until it is close to turning brown. (Definitely don't want to burn it!). Put in the rosemary and cook for another minute. Then, wisk in the flour. Let set for a minute and slowly pour in the chicken broth as you whisk the flour mixture. Turn this to high and bring to a slight boil. As it boils, pour in the whipping cream. Whisk heavily, reduce heat and let simmer.

Microwave the frozen veggies til almost cookied. Preheat oven at 350 (or whatever heat the biscuits tell you to do).

Add the cooked diced chicken and half-way cooked veggies to the sauce. Cook for 1 minute then pour into baking dish.

Once the oven is preheated, cook for 5 minutes in oven. Take this out and add the biscuits on top. Be gentle! Cook for however long the biscuit directions say. I did 11 minutes (my oven LOVES to burn things so less is safer for us).

This is truly great, but I can see a few ways to improve it. I think some cajun seasoning and cayenne pepper to the sauce would be delicious! You can add diced potatoes (make sure you boil prior).

If you try it, let me know how it turns out!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds wonderful! I will make it soon, with milk instead of cream since I don't like keeping heavy cream around (too tempting!)

    ReplyDelete